Island St. Helena, port regulations. R. M. Pritchard, Collector of Customs, Colonial Secretary R. C. Pennell.

Island St. Helena, port regulations...

[James' Town, St. Helena]: printed at the Government Office, by Geo. Gibb, [1853]. Broadside, approx. 12¾" x 8", printed on blue paper; lengthy text in a single column beneath a cut of the Royal Arms at the top; very slight spotting, else a fine copy of a rare South Atlantic imprint. The regulations, 15 in all, outline manifest requirements, customs fees and charges, quarantines, dockage, and launch services and charges, etc. Also, the times draw bridges are raised and lowered, the town gates closed, and the latitude and longitude of the islands. Also information regarding the "Time Ball." The time ball, a visual signaling device meant to be observed by ships at sea for calibrating chronometers, was first successfully tested by the Royal Navy at Portsmouth in 1829. Among the first time balls constructed was that at St. Helena Observatory, in 1834. The white canvas ball dropped precisely at noon while a time gun positioned on the High Knoll fired the signal. The procedure was repeated at one o'clock to coincide with Greenwich mean time. Not located bibliographically. Item #54091

Price: $1,500.00