Minutes of the Secretary of the Female Missionary Association of the Congregational Church. Female Missionary Association.
Minutes of the Secretary of the Female Missionary Association of the Congregational Church

Minutes of the Secretary of the Female Missionary Association of the Congregational Church

Brighton, Mass. 1829-43. 4to, pp. [17]; unlined notebook; stitched, marbled paper wrappers loose, but present; all in a neat hand. The Female Missionary Association was founded to serve the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions which was organized by the General Association of Congregational Churches of Massachusetts in 1810 "for the purpose of devising ways and means, and adopting and prosecuting measures, for promoting the spread of the gospel in Heathen lands." These are the minutes of the annual meetings (usually held either in December or January) from 1829 to 1843. Amid much praising of the Lord and his deeds, these minutes cover the election of officers, reports on finances (never enough), membership, and one report from foreign lands, Mr. Green's brief report on the schools of the Sandwich Islands (900 schools, 50,000 students). Also included is a transcription of the Association's Constitution. Most of the reports are slight, giving only the election of officers and "collectors." At the outset, Mrs. Abigail Griggs was President, Nancy Holman, Vice-President, Miss Sally Worcester, Secretary, and Mary S. Gardner, Treasurer. Members were to pay annual dues of twenty-five cents. In 1829 the society held a meeting in the "Rev. Mr. Blagden's meeting house in Brighton". George Washington Blagden, an 1823 Yale graduate, was appointed Congregational Minister at Brighton in 1827 and later became Senior Minister of Old South Church in Boston from 1836 to 1872. Laid in is a 9-page unsigned manuscript "Address on the 50th Anniversary of the Ladies Missionary Society, 1826-1876," on three bifolia (approx. 8" x 5"), giving a brief, slight synopsis of those who had worked for the Missionary Society, the ups and downs of the finances, the distribution of the Missionary Herald, the distribution of boxes of clothing to the missions, the election of Honorary Members, and notes on the passing of past members. Also laid in is a 2-page manuscript scrap (torn in the margins and with loss) dated August 5, 1830: "Brighton Female Auxiliary Bible Society ... the ladies belonging to the Evangelical Church and Society in Brighton met in the vestry of said church... to form Female Auxiliary Bible Society, the sole object of which is to promote the circulation of the Holy Scriptures." FABS was to affiliate with the American Bible Society. Miss Juliana Aspinwall was President and Nancy Holman VP, (Mrs.?) Charles Farrar, treasurer. The verso shows portions of the first annual report which states that the number of subscribers was 76 and $30 was to be paid to make "our beloved pastor" Rev. William Adams, a life member. Item #57888

Price: $325.00

See all items in Americana, Manuscripts, Theology, Women