The Apocrypha
The Apocrypha

Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple's copy

The Apocrypha

London: Samuel Bagster and Sons, 15 Paternoster Row, n.d., [1860 or before]. 16mo, pp. [4], 137, [2]; text in double column; publisher's full limp brown morocco, triple blindruled borders on covers, a.e.g.; top of spine chipped, stain at the top corner of the front board, ex-St. Mary's Hall Library, with stamp on title page and pocket inside back cover; good copy or better. With the bookplate of Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple (1802-1901), and his signature "Bishop Whipple" at the top of the title page. From the St. Mary's website: On June 3, 1858, in a small rented building in Faribault, Minnesota, The Rev. Dr. James Lloyd Breck established the Episcopal mission school and seminary from which [present day] Shattuck-St. Mary’s School has developed and prospered. When the school first opened (under the name St. Mary's Hall), there were 45 young girls and boys and six divinity students, both Native American and white.. About this time, the newly established Episcopal diocese of Minnesota selected Henry Benjamin Whipple as its first Bishop. Bishop Whipple established his home in Faribault and, in 1860, took over the reins of the school, changing Breck’s ambitious plan for “Bishop Seabury University” into something more realistic-”an honest school.” Samuel Bagster and Sons were at 15 Paternoster Row from 1816 to 1860 when they moved to 14 King's Road. This edition not found in OCLC. Item #58868

Price: $150.00

See all items in Americana, Bibles, Minnesota, Theology